Monday, July 28, 2008

Wow, welcome to the interweb

Hi,
I don't suppose anyone would want to read this, but I must assume that I am not writing to myself, you know, for sanity's sake. I wanted to call this blog "Lazy Developer", but it was taken. So with that out of the way, expectations should be suitably low.

My main focus on this blog will be to write about my adventures in audio software development. As of now, I am living and working in Shanghai China. My work has nothing to do with software development, or even computers. I teach adorable little demons, er, children at a kindergarten. When I go home, I try and find a few hours to write software, but as often as not, I get caught up in other affairs.

My current project is a portable realtime audio engine written in C++. The focus is to abstract and simplify the creation and manipulation of audio processing networks (or graphs). I do not intend to develop DSP algorithms or synthesis techniques, there are plenty of more qualified and capable people doing that right now.

If you have ever tried to do any audio development, then you know the huge headaches that realtime constraints bring. When I started learning software development, about 7 years ago, accurate and comprehensive information on realtime programming was not easily found on the internet. In fact, the most useful document I found early on was a programming manual for a realtime Unix variant... from 1995! Today there is more information available, but misunderstandings are still very common. Just browse Apple's coreaudio developer mailing list to see what I mean.

Do not be under the impression that I know what I am talking about, take everything with a grain of salt and the understanding that you are reading the words of an experienced hobbyist with no formal education in software development of any kind. Nevertheless, I intend to write accurate information only, and not stray from the bounds of my "expertise" (apologies to professional developers everywhere).

No comments: